Finished 1st Squad Thousand Sons

Posted by : G | Wednesday, March 24, 2010 | Published in

I've finished the first squad of my Thousand Sons. It has been an interesting learning process. Things I have learned:

  1. Painting works best when it is White undercoat; Baal Red Wash all over; Blood Red; Baal Red Wash darklights; Blazing Orange highlights. Symbols painted in Burnished Gold. I initially used an undercoat of Mechrite Red Foundation immediately after the White undercoat but it made them too dark.
  2. Always add a contrasting colour if you can. I was a bit stuck as the pictures in the Collected Visions limited my palette, but where I could I gave the marines Enchanted Blue & Gold shoulder pads.
  3. In future I am thinking of using more Blazing Orange than just Blood Red - turns out you can give the impression of red without using too much red :)
  4. Dragon Forge bases are awesome and the Steam Knight helmets from MaxMini were perfect - I can't recommend them enough. Just those helmets with no other major customisation made a huge difference.
  5. I want to do more drilling and pinning - it is the best way to get clean edges.
So now I have painted my first squad, what now? Well I need to move onto my next unit, but before I do that I want to decide what Codex to field them using. I've been oscillating between Space Marines Codex and Chaos Space Marines Codex, and I think I will go CSM but without demons or lash because I want to be able to field Ahriman :)

Anyway that is enough talk - here's some piccies of the finished marines:


Thousand Sons squad

(2) Comments

  1. Anonymous

    They look really good...

    March 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM
  2. G said...

    Hey thanks! First comment :)
    Also your site looks great I'm adding that to my list of 40k sites if you don't mind?

    March 25, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Leave a Response